We’ve all heard the saying: “time flies when you’re having a good time”. The questions are:
1. Are you having a good time?
2. Is time flying?
3. or do you feel stuck in time and unhappy?
Today’s blog post is all about doing what you love to make your time here happy and fulfilling. What are you waiting for?
The reason I am writing about this subject is to remind you to nurture your dreams and goals; and to borrow a quote from swimmer Dianne Nyad: “Find a way”. She just completed the Cuba to Florida swim in 2013 at the age of 64! What an inspirational person.
Where do you begin?
1. Day dream/soul search – spend a little time each day thinking about what makes you happy. Create a list of these things and don’t leave anything out. Even if petting your dog is one of them, write it down.
2. “Find a way” – focus on the one thing that is your passion. Is this going to be a hobby or is it something that you can turn into a career? Once you determine your passion you will need to create a plan or timeline to make it happen. Otherwise it is just a dream that floats around in your thoughts and may turn into regret. Try to work on this new goal regularly. Maybe you set aside an hour each day, an evening twice a week or weekend days to actively move forward.
3. Connect with others who have done it – network, talk with people in that profession or spend time with entrepreneurs. You can learn a lot from those who went through the process. You can even avoid those mistakes that they may share with you.
4. Surround yourself with supportive people – these can be mentors, friends, family and other networks. Avoid those that hold you back your drain your energy. This is all about filling your tank.
5. Use positive language – talk in the active voice. “I am working towards yoga certification”; “I am registering for that foreign language class”; “I am volunteering at the senior center”. You can do it. You are working towards it every day. Be kind to yourself and avoid that negative voice that sometimes thinks otherwise.
6. Don’t wait any longer – do it now. Quite honestly, haven’t you waited long enough? Why would you wait one moment longer? The reality is: the longer we wait the less likely we will ever do it.
7. Educate yourself – take classes, volunteer, mentor, do whatever you can to learn more about your passion. If you are starting a business, check out all the affordable offerings at you local SCORE chapter.
8. Be patient with yourself – have a plan, but be reasonable. Maybe starting a business is not for you. You can take time and work in this new area or partner with like-minded people. Training may take time. Just continue on the path one step at a time and you will get there.
Now, get on with it.
Oh, and send me a message and tell me what it is you are going to do.
Hope you enjoy this video of me doing one of the things I love to do.