Irish treat that is moist, dense, fruit-packed and good for breakfast or as a treat.
1 cup (8 oz.) brewed hot tea
1 cup (5 oz.) raisins, packed
½ cup currants, packed
1 cup prunes, snipped into small pieces
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 cups whole meal flour (I used almond meal or oat flour for gluten-free)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 large egg
2½ Tablespoons sparkling white sugar, for topping
- Pour the hot tea over the dried fruits. Set the mixture aside to cool to lukewarm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat over to 325 degrees. Lightly grease (and line with parchment) an 8 inch round cake pan.
- In medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar, flour, baking powder and salt
- Add the dried fruit and any remaining liquid. Stir until well combined; the batter will be thick and stiff.
- Add the egg, mixing until thoroughly incorporated.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven to cool.